Our bodies are designed to heal. We are the experts and drivers of our own health. When you have a health issue, consider it to be a message from your body that something is out of balance. And then use your intuition along with your healthcare practitioners’ expertise to identify what the root cause of the imbalance is and the best actions to address it. Or better yet, listen to your intuition to discover imbalances before they become larger issues.
Following her intuition and taking control of her health, saved one of my friend’s life. My friend had normal mammograms, but asked for an ultrasound because she felt a difference in her left breast. She was told everything looked fine. A breast surgeon and her ob/gyn both did clinical exams and said she just had fibrous tissue. It was still bothering her, so she went back to her doctor again and insisted on more tests. That time they did a mammogram, ultrasound and MRI. The MRI finally diagnosed the breast cancer that her intuition told her was there – despite the mammogram and ultrasound reports that indicated she was fine. Without her persistence, her cancer may not have been caught until it was in advanced stages and harder to treat. She urges women who are told they have dense breasts to push for an MRI when possible.
When managing my own health, I consult with the experts: doctors, therapists, specialists. I do research. I take into account what has worked for my friends and family. But in the end, I use the information and recommendations but also my INTUITION in making decisions.
When I was having issues sleeping several years ago, my doctor recommended Ambien. When I still wasn’t sleeping well or waking refreshed with the Ambien and seeing my therapist, I went back to my doctor. He recommended that I take Lexapro. That didn’t sit well with me. I did research. I asked people who had taken Lexapro. Finally, one day I had two voicemails on my phone. I noticed that when I listened to the first message from my therapist, my shoulders tensed and I felt like there was a rock in my stomach. When I listened to the second message from my yoga instructor, my body relaxed. That led me to further pursue alternatives including acupuncture, and I was able to get a good night’s sleep after just two treatments – without all of the side effects I would have suffered from with Lexapro. I’m not saying Lexapro is bad for everyone – it just wasn’t the right thing for me at that time.
If you feel like you lost the connection to your intuition, here are some ideas of how to tap into your intuition related to your health:
1) Pray or meditate about your health.
2) Create a list of things you can do to address your health, read each item out loud to yourself and pay attention to how your body responds to each. Are there any that make you feel a spark or tingle or sense of urgency? If so, those are must dos. You may want to listen to relaxing music or this mantra meditation (This mantra helps us find the right path to healing) prior to reading your list.
3) Journal about your health.
4) Write down questions about your health before bed, and then write down as much as you can remember about your dreams when you wake up. Look for any guidance in your dreams.
5) Pay attention to “coincidences” – like running into a friend you haven’t seen for a long time who is getting amazing results from doing intermittent fasting right after it was recommended to you by your trainer.
6) Get acupuncture, meditate and/or start a yoga practice! Two of the side effects of acupuncture, meditation and yoga are a better mind/body connection and easier access to your intuition.
Take control of your health, trust your intuition, listen to the messages your body sends, and have faith and confidence in your body’s ability to heal. I’m not saying that you can resolve all issues – but you would be amazed how much closer your body can get to a balanced state with the right support. (ie, healthy food, plenty of filtered water, resolving suppressed emotions, experiencing more joy and fun, managing stress, spiritual connection, avoiding toxins, connecting with others, spending time in nature).
If your intuition guides you to acupuncture, call me at 815.814.1319 to schedule an appointment.